Set Up Your Windows Laptop
Instructions for setting up your laptop at the beginning of the year or after it has been re-imaged are below:
- Go to the Desktop screen on your laptop
- Double Click the Printers and Devices Icon
- Click "Add Printer" near the top
- At the bottom of the window, click "The printer that I want wasn't listed"
- Click "Find a printer in the directory..."
- Type the initials of your school in the box, and then click Find
- A list of printers in your building will appear. Click on the printer name.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to download drivers and add the printer
- Repeat for other printers you would like to add
Log into Microsoft Office to Activate your License
- The first time you open Word, Excel or PowerPoint on your laptop, you will need to Sign In in order to activate the Office Suite licence.
- Open Word, Excel or PowerPoint
- Click Account on the left
- Click Sign In.
- Sign in with your email address and the same password you use to log into your laptop.
Set Chrome as Default Browser
- Click the Start menu at the bottom left of your screen.
- Click the Settings icon on the left (looks like a gear)
- Click Apps
- Click Default Apps
- Under Web Browser, click Edge
- Click Chrome
- Click Switch Anyway
Log Into Gmail
- Open Chrome
- Go to https://mail.google.com
- Click Sign In
- Enter your email address
- Enter your district Google password
- Click here for more help with using Gmail
- Open Chrome
- Click the three vertical dots at the top right corner of the screen
- Click Bookmarks
- Click Bookmark Manager
- Click the three vertical dots that now appear near the top right of the screen, next Search Bookmarks
- Click Import Booknarks
- Select the file from your H Drive that you saved at the end of last year (or another file location where you saved your favorites)
- Click Import
Pin Icons to your Task Bar (bottom of your computer screen) for Easy Access
- Please right click and UNpin the Mail app on your task bar (looks like an envelope). It is automatically pinned at the bottom of your screen when you first log in. However we cannot use that app with Gmail.
- Open other applications you use frequently and right click the icon in the task bar to pin them to the Task Bar.
Keep Your Laptop Running Smoothly
If you need assistance with technology this year, please contact us: