Pembroke High School Weekly Update
Dear PHS Families,
Here is this week's update, reminders, and other important notes regarding PHS matters.
Now that T2 grades have closed, report cards will be distributed on Tuesday (Cohorts A and C) and Wednesday (Cohorts B and D) next week. They will be distributed directly to students in Cohorts A, B, and C and mailed home for students in Cohort D.
NEW REMOTE MONDAY BELL SCHEDULE:
As a final reminder, beginning this coming Monday, February 8, we will be using a new Remote Monday Bell Schedule, which adds 13 additional minutes to each of our live, synchronous classes and incorporates a lunch period. As you can see by viewing this NEW Remote Monday Bell Schedule, Remote Mondays will now begin at 9:25 a.m. and conclude at 2:20 p.m. (as they always have).
The students have been told of this new schedule and have a copy of it in their Google Drives. We also discussed it during school-wide Google Meets on Thursday and Friday of this week.
SPECIAL PARENT Q&A for NEW COHORT D FAMILIES:
With the window to change learning models now closed, we understand that we have some students and families new to Cohort D (100% Remote Learning).
Please join us for a Q&A session, intended to answer all of your questions about learning in this new environment using Edgenuity on Monday, February 8 at 4 p.m. The joining link is here.
Thanks to the hard work and planning of our Student Council, and because of the cooperation of our entire student body, we will be continuing with our Spirit Week next week.
- Tuesday and Wednesday are Character Days
- Thursday and Friday are Decade Days.
- Seniors have The 80s
- Juniors have The 70s
- Sophomores have The 60s
- Freshmen have The 50s.
CLASS OF 2022 - The College Planning Process
The Guidance Department has begun the College Planning Process for the members of the Class of 2022.
- The first step in the process is the Post-Secondary Planning Seminars, which are occurring virtually on the "at-home" days for students in Cohorts A and B (and D). Students in Cohort C will attend an in-person seminar during the students' study hall. The seminar appointments have been sent to students already via their school email accounts, so please remind your child to make sure he or she has it. For parents that are interested, you can view a typical Post-Secondary Planning Seminar by clicking here. Thanks to Mrs. Goff for creating this sample video so that parents can gain a better understanding of what those seminars entail.
- Once the Post-Secondary Planning Seminars have concluded, the Guidance Department will turn its attention to the parents and families, first by hosting two virtual Q&A opportunities.
- March 1st - 11:45 AM-12:45 PM
Mrs. Conathan (Grade 11: A-Gr): Click here to join.
Mr. Shannon (Grade 11: Gu-M) Click here to join.
Mrs. Goff (Grade 11: N-Z) Click here to join.
This College Planning Checklist has also gone out to all juniors and is in their Guidance Google Classroom.
Finally, please save the date. The Guidance Department will host a virtual College Admissions Panel on March 31st at 6:30 PM in collaboration with several surrounding south shore high schools. College Admissions Representatives from the following colleges will be available for the virtual event:
University of California San Diego
Bridgewater State University
The University of Massachusetts at Amherst
Having admissions counselors from each of these schools will provide helpful information from a wide range of schools, which should prove very helpful to parents wondering what their children should be doing to impress college admissions offices from across the higher-education spectrum.
There are 1,000 registration slots on a first-come-first-served basis. Parents can register by clicking here.
COURSE SELECTION FOR 2021-22:
The Course Selection process for the 2021-22 school year is rapidly approaching. For your advanced planning, we have included some tentative dates for that process here:
- Feb 22-March 5: Teacher recommendations
- March 4: Virtual Program of Studies Night for all Families (6:30 p.m.)
- March 16-April 9: Course Selection Seminars (virtual) for students with their counselors during study halls.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES:
- 2/8 - PTO Meeting
- 2/9, 2/10 - Term 2 report cards issued
- 2/9-2/12 - Spirit Days
- 2/15-2/19 - February break
- 2/22 - Teachers begin making recommendations for the 2021-22 school year.
- 2/25 - Athletic Boosters Meeting (Click here to join.)
- 3/4 - Virtual Program of Studies Night (6:30 p.m.)
Thanks, everyone. As always, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Marc Talbot, Principal