Pembroke High School Update
Dear PHS Families,
I continue to hope these communications finds each of you well. We are beyond the halfway point of T4, with the end of the school year clearly in sight. Here are a few important notes about the remainder of the year.
Last Monday, we mailed home progress reports for all of our seniors. Those documents should have been delivered to your home by now. Yesterday, we emailed progress reports to all students in grades 9-11, so they should be arriving in the next day or two. Those reports indicate whether or not your child(ren) is earning credit (CR) or not (NC) in any given class.
As a reminder, students earning credit in a course will have their final grade raised by 1/3 of a letter grade in that course. If students do not earn credit, their final average will drop 1/3 of a letter grade. Students’ GPA will be calculated at the conclusion of T4 and after the letter grade, reduction or increase has occurred. Please join us in encouraging your child(ren) to stay engaged until year’s end.
Attention Senior Parents – We Need Your Help:
Our Guidance Department could really use your help ensuring that all seniors fill out their Senior Exit Survey. This survey is usually done each year in school during a Guidance Seminar, but for obvious reasons, we do not have that level of oversight this year.
Because this survey is so important when compiling our School Profile, it is a requirement that all seniors fill it out and must be done before we issue caps and gowns or yearbooks to students. Ideally, we would like the survey’s completed by next week.
The survey has already been sent to the students’ Naviance accounts, and the instructions to access it can be found on our Guidance Department's webpage.
- Monday, May 25 is Memorial Day. There will be no remote learning that day.
- Friday, May 29 is the last day of school for seniors. We may have a bit of a surprise for them on that day (Shhhh!!!!).
- Thursday, June 4, we will be “hosting” a Scholarship Awards Night. The details of this event are still in planning mode, but on this night, the winners of all of our local scholarships will be announced.
- Tuesday, June 16 is the last day of school for students in grades 9-11.
- Tuesday, Aug. 4 is the tentative date for the Senior Dinner (6:30 p.m. at the Lakeside Villa in Halifax).
- Thursday, Aug. 6 is the tentative date for our Senior Academic Awards/NHS Chording Ceremony. We are planning to hold the event at 6:30 p.m. in the Randall Auditorium (PHS), but we are also planning an alternate way to honor these seniors should we not be able to assemble in the traditional way.
- Saturday, Aug. 8 is the tentative date for Graduation for the Class of 2020. As is the case with the rest of the events for our seniors, we look to hold this event “in person” on our Athletic Complex (time TBD), but we are also planning an alternate way to celebrate our students if we are unable to gather in large crowds on that date.
QUESTIONS STILL TO BE DETERMINED:
- Picking up and returning items: We know that many students (and staff) will need to return to PHS before the summer to gather belongings they may have left in school on March 13 or to return school-issued materials (including Chromebooks).
We will start this process with the seniors first. We will continue to take guidance from state and local officials as to the safest and best way to make that happen, and we plan on having an announcement for that soon.
- Caps and Gowns and Yearbooks: We await shipment of these important items. Once they arrive, we will need a few days to organize them and prepare them for pickup. We anticipate them arriving at the end of this week. Stay tuned!
Marc Talbot, Principal