Pembroke High School Update
Dear PHS Families,
Here is this week's update. Please do not ever hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about these or any other matters.
Semester exams begin next Tuesday, January 17, and continue through Friday, Jan. 20. These 90-minute exams do not factor into Term 2 grades. Rather, they are stand-alone grades that count for 10% of students' final (yearly) grades. Our exam days are half-days, with two exams scheduled per day. Student dismissal is at 10:50 a.m. each day. The is the schedule for our semester exams:
- Friday, January 13 - Exam Review Day: This is a full day of school with all seven periods meeting so teachers and students can have one last opportunity to review for semester exams. To allow us to run all seven periods, we do not run Titan Time on Exam Review Day.
- Tuesday, January 17 - Exams for Periods 1 and 2
- Wednesday, January 18 - Exams for Periods 7 and 3
- Thursday, January 19 - Exams for Periods 6 and 4
- Friday, January 20 - Exams for Period 5 and Makeups
- Monday, January 23 - First day of Term 3/Semester 2
Here are a few important notes about exams:
- Because of their importance, student attendance is required on exam days. Students without an excused absence are not allowed to make up an exam. Parents are urged to contact their child's administrator, Mr. Rix (grades 9, 11) or Ms. Kelley (grades 10, 12), if they know that their child is unable to attend school during exam week.
- That said, students do not need to be in school if they do not have an exam during a particular period (i.e. study hall, Senior Exemption).
- While dismissal is at 10:50 a.m. each morning, we are not able to add an additional bus run at that time. Buses will make their usual afternoon run at 2:20 p.m. While most of our students leave at 10:50 a.m. via alternate transportation (parent pick-up, getting a ride with an upperclassman), our library and our cafeteria are open to students that need to wait for the 2:20 p.m. bus run. Students can use these spaces to prepare for their exams the next day.
- We also serve lunch to any student staying until 2:20 p.m. Students should order their lunch - and let us know what bus they take - in the main office prior to 7:35 a.m. each day that they are planning on staying.
COCOA and CRAM - Exam Review Night:
In preparation for semester exams, we are hosting our annual Cocoa and Cram - Exam Review Night tomorrow night (Thursday, January 12) from 6:30-8:30 p.m. This review night is for our freshmen and sophomores as we look to support them with this entirely new experience.
Many members of our faculty and dozens of PHS National Honor Society students will run small and large group study sessions - by subject. While the night is not mandatory, we certainly encourage our 9th and 10th graders to take advantage of this opportunity. Hot chocolate and other treats will be served.
TERM 2 REPORT CARDS:
Grades for Term 2 will close on Friday, Jan. 20. Report cards will be published and emailed home to families on Thursday, January 26.
MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCE FAIR:
The Special Education Parents Advisory Council (SEPAC) is hosting a Mental Health Resource Fair on Saturday, January 21 from 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. at the Pembroke Public Library. All are welcome to attend (students and adults) to learn about mental health resources available in and around our community. The following organizations will be in attendance to share their resources:
- Plymouth County Outreach
- Emerald Yoga
- Plymouth County Suicide Prevention Coalition
- Obadiah the Comfort Dog
- Pembroke Food Pantry
- Pembroke Hospital and Partial Program
- River and Stone Wellness
- Mossman Play Therapy Center
- Pembroke Titans Against Drugs
- Parent Information Network
- PHS Transition Program
Each year, our generous community awards over $100,000 in local scholarships to our graduating seniors. As we quickly move toward spring, the application window for those scholarships will open, so all seniors and their parents should keep an eye out on the bulletin board outside of our Guidance Office and on the Guidance Department Google Classroom. Throughout the week of January 23, our guidance counselors will be meeting with seniors in small group seminars during Titan Time to fully discuss the number of scholarships available to them and the scholarship application process.
COURSE SELECTION for 2023-24:
I know that we are only halfway through the school year, but it is not too early to start preparing for the 2023-24 school year. To that end, the Course Selection Process for next year is upon us. This process begins with teacher recommendations for next year, which will occur throughout the month of February. Also in February (the week of February 13), students in grades 9-11 will attend course selection assemblies during Titan Time. Ultimately, students will begin selecting their courses with their guidance counselors in small group seminars throughout the month of March. We will have more detailed information as these events approach.
IMPORTANT DATES OF NOTE:
- 1/12 - Cocoa and Cram - Exam Review Night (6:30-8:30 p.m.)
- 1/13 - Exam Review Day
- 1/16 - MLK, Jr. Day - No School
- 1/17-1/20 - Semester Exam Week (student dismissal at 10:50 a.m. - buses arrive at 2:20 p.m.)
- 1/21 - SEPAC - Mental Health Resource Fair (10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Pembroke Public Library)
- 1/23 - First day of Term 3/Semester 2
- 1/24-1/27 - Senior Seminars: Scholarships (Titan Time)
- 1/25 - ERD - Teacher In-Service (student dismissal at 11:10 a.m. - buses arrive at 11:10 a.m.)
- 1/26 - Term 2 Report Cards Published
Thanks, all. Please do not ever hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns about these or any other matters.