Pembroke High School Weekly Update
Dear PHS Families,
Here is this week's update. Please do not ever hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about these or any other matters.
NEASC COLLABORATIVE CONFERENCE:
As I have mentioned before in this space, we are in the midst of preparing for our NEASC Decennial Accreditation Visit, which is scheduled for the Fall of 2024. As part of that preparation, our staff has been working diligently on preparing our Self-Study Report. This report is a self-assessment of how well we feel we align with the NEASC Standards for Accreditation.
The next step in this process is to host a NEASC Visiting Team for a Collaborative Conference this coming Thursday and Friday, December 8 and 9. A team of educators from across New England, led by Ms. Laura Chesson, the Superintendent of Schools from Groton-Dunstable Regional School District, will review our self-assessment report and then spend those two days touring our campus, observing classroom instruction, and meeting with panels of students, staff, parents, and administrators. The team will then prepare their own assessment of our alignment with the Standards. This will help us identify and celebrate our strengths and create an action plan to address our areas of growth so that we can earn our Decennial Accreditation in 2024.
We will receive verbal, formative feedback before the team departs, and the full report from the visiting team will arrive sometime in late winter or early spring. I will have a summary of the committee's findings in future email blasts.
PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES - ROUND #2:
The portal for the next round of parent/teacher conferences, which is scheduled for Wednesday, December 7, is open! Wednesday is an Early Release Day for students, with student dismissal set for 11:10 a.m. Conferences run from 1-6 p.m., with the option for virtual conferences from 1-2:30 p.m. In-person conferences run from 2:30-6 p.m. If you are unable to schedule a time to meet with a particular teacher, please email him or her directly to find an alternate opportunity to meet.
PHS WINTER CONCERTS:
As the calendar turns to December, we know it is time for our Winter Concerts. Please mark your calendars for Winter Concert I, which is Wednesday, December 14, and Winter Concert II, which is Thursday, December 15. Both performances are free and will be at 6:30 p.m. in the Randall Auditorium. For more good news about your performing artists, please read below.
DECA STATE COMPETITION:
Later this month, over 90 PHS students from our Distributive Education Club of America (more commonly known as DECA) will head to the Quincy Marriot to compete in the annual DECA District competition. This competition pits our students against those from schools throughout the New England region in a series of exams and role-plays designed to measure their business and entrepreneurial acumen. Best of luck to all of our DECA students and their advisor, Mr. Cowgill. I will have updates on their performance in upcoming email blasts.
Each week, I will conclude this update with the "Celebrating Community" segment, which will highlight the recent successes and accomplishments of our entire school community. In doing so, we draw well-deserved attention to the many people that make our community great.
- Congratulations to these 14 performing artists and our entire VPA Department for their acceptance to the 2023 Southeastern Senior District Music Festival! As you will see, of these 14, six were also recommended for the All-State Music Festival. For the first time in school history, 100% of the vocalists that auditioned for districts were accepted!
- This month, our Amnesty International Club will begin raising awareness of and support for those impacted by the human rights crisis in Iran. In addition to creating posters highlighting the plight of women, in particular, the club will run a series of bake sales to raise funds for Unicef in honor of the protesters in Iran.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES:
- 12/7 - ERD (11:10 a.m. student dismissal)
- 12/7 - Parent-Teacher Conferences (Virtual and in-person1-6 p.m
- 12/8, 12/9 - NEASC Decennial Accreditation Collaborative Conference
- 12/13 - T2 Progress Reports published and emailed to families
- 12/14, 12/15 - Winter Concerts (6:30 p.m. Randall Auditorium)
- 12/23 - ERD (11:10 a.m. student dismissal)
- 12/26-1/2 - Winter Break
Thanks, all. Please do not ever hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns about these or any other matters.