School Safety Update
Good Morning Pembroke Families & Staff:
As parents ourselves, we can understand the frustration associated with not having all the details of events that occur in our schools. However, we urge you to respect the fact that there are protocols that both the Pembroke Police and the school system are obligated to follow when investigating a situation that involves students. We share information as soon as possible because student and staff safety is our number one priority.
We have been working with the Pembroke Police and our School Resource Officer since yesterday afternoon on an issue at PCMS. We can share that the police have deemed an incident reported late yesterday afternoon at Pembroke Community Middle School was not a credible threat.
- The school administration was made aware of a conversation yesterday afternoon by a student who overheard other students talking outside during a mask break.
- The PCMS administration immediately began an investigation; several students were identified and interviewed from the initial report. No other students reported hearing the threat.
- Yesterday afternoon, we shared the information with our School Resource Officer, and both the Pembroke Police and Pembroke Community Middle School followed up with the families involved yesterday afternoon/evening.
- Additional students were interviewed this morning.
- The discipline process at Pembroke Community Middle School runs parallel to the police investigation. Although the police have deemed that this was not a credible threat, there is still a discipline process that happens at the school level in addition to any action taken by the police.
We are thankful for our students that brought forward the information yesterday and we want to continue to remind students that if they hear or see anything that they are concerned about, to share that information with school staff. We are also grateful for the continuous collaboration with the Pembroke Police Department. These excellent relationships allow us to manage situations efficiently and effectively.
As always, if you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to the Superintendent’s office.
Superintendent - Pembroke Public Schools
Chief - Pembroke Police Department
Principal - Pembroke Community Middle School