Think Prevention! Having your child wear a bike helmet every time they ride a bike (or a scooter, rip-stick, or rollerblades) is the single most important thing you can do as a parent to protect your child from serious brain injury or even death!
- Bicycles are associated with more childhood injuries than any other consumer product except for automobiles.
- Children ages 5 to 14 have the highest rate of injury from bikes.
- More than 500,000 children each year receive medical attention due to bicycle accidents.
- Most of these accidents happen on neighborhood streets.
- Without proper protection, a fall from a bike can result in a skull fracture or a traumatic brain injury.
- Wearing a bike helmet is an easy way to prevent serious injury, by reducing head injury by 85%.